8.31.2011

Italian Chicken Stew, the crockpot way!

Today I'm joining Kelly from Kelly's Korner for   "Crockpotalooza".  I'm not generally one for using the crockpot that often.  It's not that I don't love crockpot dishes because  I so do.  I like putting the ingredients in the morning, smelling the delightful aromas during the day and having dinner ready at the end of the day without having to plan dinner.  I guess I've just gotten out of the habit of meal planning since all of the kids are out of the nest now.  It's  become such a bad habit of mine lately to pick up dinner at a restaurant or go to the grocery store on my way home and buy ingredients  for a quick meal which are 1) generally not that healthy and 2) it's way more expensive.   I was just willing myself to be more purposeful in this area when I read about Kelly's crockpot link.  A great way to try different dishes which have been tried by others and obviously a hit or they wouldn't be linking it up.   

This is a recipe tried and really like.  It's simple and delicious.

Italian Chicken Stew

2 pounds of skinless chicken (the recipe calls for bone in thighs but I use boneless breast)
1 and a 1/2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon black powder
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1 large onion thinly sliced
1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
1 and 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
2 tablespoons quick cooking tapioca
1 can (15 ounces) cannellini beans, drained and rinsed (I use two cans because I like them)
1/2 cup fresh basil, torn in small pieces

Coat slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray.
Place chicken in slow cooker and season with Italian seasoning, garlic powder pepper and salt. 
Layer onion over the chicken. 
Stir together tomatoes, broth and tapioca together then pour over the onions.

Cover and cook on high for 5 and 1/2 hours or Low for 7 and 1/2 hours. 
Stir in beans and cook an additional 30 minutes.

Stir in basil and serve.

Some people put olives (adding 1/2 cup sliced black pitted olives when you add the beans) in the recipe and serve over biscuits  but I don't like olives and I don't need the biscuits.  ha

It's really good on a cool autumn evening.  Maybe if I make it, that cool autumn evening will come sooner. 

1 comment:

  1. I don't have a crockpot – and I kind of don't cook anyway – but I hearted your recipe – and it's simple enough that even I could do it. And I heart how you put that the dish might hasten a cool fall evening at the end – that's kind of a touch of brilliance. And it's just a recipe. But I'm smiling. And that even though I'm not going to do it! And that's no easy task! Well done! And God bless and keep you and all of yours Deborah.

    ReplyDelete